FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
Q. How can The Resource Music Group help me as an independent hip-hop artist?
A. We provide full-service solutions for delivering hip-hop music direct to consumers through our digital music distribution partners Apple Music, Spotify, Amazon Music, YouTube Music, TIDAL, Pandora, Google Play Music, Deezer, iTunes, iHeartRadio, and all major music platforms. Our marketing and promotion services consist of two major components, Streaming-Focused Marketing and Direct-to-Consumer Marketing powered by Independent Promotions. We develop, implement, and build on strategies that target promotions to thousands of music lovers leading to increased visibility, engagement, and streams.
In addition, our sleek designed website is a marketing funnel that maximizes the impact of our releases. It's designed to market our artist's release effectively and directly on all major digital music platforms interactively streaming right from our website. Our Google marketing campaigns feed us over 100,000 visitors a month from music fans worldwide discovering new hip-hop music.
How We Market Our Artists
- Front page post New Release (<<CLICK).
- Front page post Featured Release (<<CLICK).
- Front page post Blog (<<CLICK).
- Artist and Release indexed in our Artist Navigation Drop Down Menu (<<CLICK).
- Artist Profile Page linked to On All Music Platforms (<<CLICK).
- Art Track Video release on our YouTube Channel (<<CLICK).
- Streaming-Focused Marketing - We employ our marketing team to strategically create and manage Independent Promotion campaigns designed to increase royalty streams. We have also partnered with 5,000+ legit independent curators on Spotify that give our playlist promotions a major marketing edge. Our target hip-hop audience has a 22,000,000+ curated Spotify Playlist Listener reach.
- Direct-to-Consumer Marketing via Facebook (<<CLICK), Instagram (<<CLICK), and Twitter (<<CLICK). In addition, we create and implement advertising campaigns via Spotify Audio Ads, Apple Music Ads, Facebook Ads, Instagram Ads, and Twitter Ads powered by Independent Promotions.
- Placement on our Spotify Listener playlist TRMG Hip-Hop Playlist (<<CLICK). Your songs will be included on our Spotify Listener playlist, as well as, we have a target hip-hop audience of 22,000,000+ curated Spotify Playlist Listeners powered by Independent Promotions.
- Extensive resources and proper budgets allow us to expand our Streaming-Focused Marketing and Direct-to-Consumer Marketing campaigns globally with massive results.
Q. Will distribution companies market my music?
A. Most distribution companies online distribute your music only. They don't provide any marketing services. In fact, most distribution websites promote subscription-based sign-ups that require monthly or yearly subscription renewals to keep your music on the digital music platforms. Our record label business model is built solid around marketing the artist's release we distribute.
Q. Can I self distribute my music directly on Apple Music, Spotify, and other digital music streaming services?
A. While you can self distribute your release through other services, you cannot upload directly to the digital music platforms. You must self distribute through a music distributor to get your music to digital music platforms. The Resource Music Group offers its artists distribution plus marketing.
Q. How much money will I earn from the sales of my music?
A. We collect worldwide distribution royalties on your behalf and pay 70% directly to you for revenue earned from your music. We retain a 30% marketing and distribution fee.
Q. What will it cost me to distribute my music through The Resource Music Group?
A. Artists pay no upfront distribution cost. Artist Services are paid for in advance. Your music is distributed worldwide forever. There are no monthly or yearly subscription-based distribution fees.
Q. Am I an exclusive artist? Can I distribute my music with other distribution companies?
A. No you are not an exclusive artist. Our artist agreements are non-exclusive. Yes, you can distribute other music with other distribution companies. However, you cannot distribute the same music that is signed to The Resource Music Group with other distribution companies.
Q. Do I need a publisher or publishing administrator for my songs?
A. No you do not. However, without a publisher or publishing administrator for your songs, you are leaving unpaid publishing royalties on the table. As a songwriter you’re missing out on publishing and songwriting mechanical royalties paid whenever your songs are streamed, downloaded, and publicly performed on radio, radio streaming platforms like Pandora, TV, and live performances. Keep in mind that publishing royalties as a songwriter and publisher are separate from your distribution royalties as an artist.
Q. How much money will I earn from the publishing of my songs?
A. We collect worldwide songwriters and publishing royalties on your behalf and pay songwriters 100% of revenue earned, and publishers 70% of revenue earned from your songs. We retain a 30% publishing administration fee. If the songwriter has no publisher, the songwriter is entitled to the 100% publishers share in addition to songwriters share of revenue earned from your songs.
Q. Do you offer publishing services for my songs?
A. Yes we do. Under our umbrella of Artist Services we offer Publishing Administration. We collect worldwide publishing royalties on your behalf and pay them directly to you as we do your distribution royalties. Don’t miss out on the money that your songs generate.
Q. What are Performance Rights Organizations?
A. BMI, ASCAP, and SESAC are the main performance rights organizations that represent publishers and songwriters. They collect and pay royalties for the public broadcast of your songs on radio, and other public venues. You will have to register with the organization of your choice to get paid.
Q. What are Artist Services?
A. Artist Services is an ala carte of transparent services paid in advance on the artist's behalf for digital music marketing and distribution.
- We advance our artists a $50,000 marketing budget to cover digital music marketing and promotion initiatives (i.e.); Spotify Playlisting, Spotify Audio Ads, Apple Music Ads, Facebook Ads, Instagram Ads, and Twitter Ads. All powered by Independent Promotions. This artist service is mandantory to actively and effectively promote your release - (One-time advanced fee required)
- UPC Bar Code and ISRC number for SoundScan - FREE
- Single Distribution - $20 (One-time advanced fee required)
- Album or EP Distribution - $35 (One-time advanced fee required)
- Cover Artwork & Graphics - $50 Fee (If needed)
- Cover Artwork Edits - $20 Fee (If needed)
- Digital File Conversion - $20 Fee (If needed)
- Digital Audio Mastering - $20 Fee (If needed)
- Music Monetization - FREE
- Sync Licensing - FREE
- YouTube Art Track Video - FREE
- Spotify Playlist Placement - FREE
- Single Publishing Administration - 30% Fee (If needed)
- Album or EP Publishing Administration - 30% Fee (If needed)
- Collection of worldwide distribution and publishing royalties from our digital music distribution partners - FREE
Q. How do I get paid?
A. Artists, Songwriters and Publishers are paid through their choice of PayPal, Google Pay or CashApp. Artists receive Sales & Accounting Reports of their sales activity along with distribution and publishing royalty payments.
Q. Do you accept all music submissions?
A. No we don't. All music submitted does not get accepted for distribution with The Resource Music Group.
Q. What does The Resource Music Group look for when accepting music submissions?
A. There are four important things that we look for when accepting an artist submission for distribution;
- Amazing Music - We only accept high quality recorded, mixed, and mastered music that is commercially viable, and ready for digital music distribution.
- Branding - This tells us that you are a brand that we can invest in and market, and that music fans will invest in.
- Online Stats - We like to see how many plays, and followers you have on social media. Stats are vital to building your fanbase.
- Performing - How many shows are you playing, where you're playing them, and how many people are attending all matter.
Q. Can The Resource Music Group get my songs on curated Spotify playlists?
A. Yes we can. As a part of our marketing initiatives we get our artists songs placed in front of a 22,000,000+ curated Spotify Playlist Listener reach powered by Independent Promotions. Getting your songs placed and streaming on many Spotify Listener playlists can trigger the Spotify algorithms for placement on Official Spotify Algorithmic and Editorial playlists. All the while, your songs are gaining a fanbase and building royalty streams on your Spotify for Artist profile. In addition, your music will be included on our own Spotify Listener playlist TRMG Hip-Hop Playlist (<<CLICK).
Q. What are my royalty earnings based on?
A. Your royalty earnings are based on digital music streams, downloads, sync licensing, and publishing (if you opted in on publishing services). You will receive Sales & Accounting reports of your sales activity.
Q. How do I submit my music? How will I know if my music has been accepted for distribution?
A. Submit your music through the Contact (<<CLICK) page on our website. Follow the submission instructions. If your music submission is accepted for distribution, we will contact you. Our team will follow up with an assessment call to discuss your specific Artist Services needs. The distribution agreement will be emailed to you. Sign and return the distribution agreement via email.
Q. Does The Resource Music Group give advances?
A. Yes we do. We advance our artists a $50,000 marketing budget to cover digital music marketing and promotion initiatives (i.e.); Spotify Playlisting, Spotify Audio Ads, Apple Music Ads, Facebook Ads, Instagram Ads, and Twitter Ads. All powered by Independent Promotions. The marketing budget advance is in addition to the cost of Artist Services fees required for digital music marketing and distribution. Advances are charged and recouped against the artist account.
Q. Can I do my own artwork?
A. Yes you can. However, your artwork is required to be in 1600 x 1600 dimensions. If you're dealing with a graphic designer for your cover, they will understand these dimension requirements. Only the artist name, title, and explicit lyric sticker should appear on the cover. No # symbols, social media mentions, or logos. Distribution partners require commercial standards on all cover uploads.
Q. What kind of music file is acceptable for distribution?
A. WAV file is required. MP3 file is acceptable however the file will require digital conversion from MP3 to WAV.
Q. How long will it take for my release to appear on digital music platforms?
A. Once your distribution agreement has been signed, and returned, we’ll do the rest. Your release will be assigned a UPC Barcode and ISRC Number and put in queue to be delivered to our distribution partners. Typically, 2 weeks from release date. All projects are released on New Music Friday. Your release will be available immediately on all digital music platforms.
Q. What digital music platforms does The Resource Music Group distribute my music on?
A. Your music will be available on all music platforms; Apple Music, Spotify, Amazon Music, YouTube Music, TIDAL, Pandora, Google Play Music, Deezer, iTunes, iHeartRadio, and more.