Frequently Asked Questions
Q. How can The Resource Music Group help me as an independent Hip-Hop or R&B artist or record label?
A. We provide full-service solutions for delivering Hip-Hop & R&B music direct to consumers through our digital music distribution partners Apple Music, Spotify, Amazon Music, YouTube Music, and all major digital music platforms. Our Website Marketing is designed to market our Artists effectively, and directly on Apple Music and Spotify (the two largest digital music platforms in the world). We receive 100,000 plus visitors a month to our website from music fans worldwide discovering new music. Your music benefits from our Marketing Services in the following ways:
- We grant you visible, front page New Release, and Featured Release placement.
- We grant you visible, front page placement on our Blog.
- Your release is Indexed in our Apple Music and Spotify Artist Roster Drop Down Menus.
- We create an Art Track Video for marketing your release on our YouTube Channel.
- Social Media Marketing via Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
- We curate our own Spotify playlist TRMG Hip-Hop Playlist. Your music may be selected onto the playlist for Playlist Marketing on Spotify, and selected viable Playlist Marketing Platforms.
Q. Will other distribution companies market my music?
A. Most distribution companies online distribute your music only. They don't provide any marketing. In fact, most distribution websites promote subscription-based sign-ups that require monthly or yearly subscription renewal to keep your music on the digital music platforms. Our business model, and website is built solid around marketing the artist and label releases we distribute. Browse our website and social media. Do your research.
Q. Can I distribute my music directly on Apple Music, Spotify, and other digital music streaming services?
A. No. You cannot distribute directly to the digital music platforms. You must go through a music distributor such as The Resource Music Group to distribute your music to digital music platforms.
Q. How much money will I earn from the sales of my music?
A. We pay our artists and labels 70% of revenue earned from their music. We retain a 30% marketing and distribution fee. Plus, Advanced expenses on the artists' or label behalf.
Q. What will it cost me to distribute my music through The Resource Music Group?
A. Our Artists and Labels pay NO upfront distribution cost. Artist and Label Services are Advanced. Your music is distributed worldwide forever. There are NO monthly or yearly subscription-based distribution fees.
Q. Am I an exclusive artist or label? Can I distribute my music with other distribution companies?
A. No. You are not an exclusive. Our distribution agreements are non-exclusive. Yes. You can distribute other music with other distribution companies. However, The Resource Music Group retains the distribution right to the music signed to us for digital distribution.
Q. Do I need a publisher or publishing administrator for my songs?
A. No. However, without a publisher or publishing administrator for your songs, you are leaving unpaid publishing royalties on the table. As a songwriter you’re missing out on publishing and songwriting mechanical royalties paid whenever your songs are streamed, downloaded, and publicly performed on radio, radio streaming platforms like Pandora, TV, and live performances. Keep in mind that publishing royalties as a songwriter are separate from your distribution royalties as an artist.
Q. How much money will I earn from the publishing of my songs?
A. We pay our songwriters 100% of revenue earned from their songs. We pay our publishers 70% of revenue earned from their songs. We retain a 30% publishing administration fee. Plus, Advanced expenses on behalf of the songwriters and publishers. If the songwriter has no publisher, the songwriter is entitled to the 100% publishers share in addition to songwriters share of revenue earned from their songs.
Q. Do you offer publishing services for my songs?
A. Yes. Under our umbrella of Artist and Label Services we offer Publishing Administration. We collect worldwide publishing royalties on your behalf and pay them directly to you as we do your distribution royalties. Don’t miss out on the money that your songs generate.
Q. What are Artist and Label Services?
A. Artist and Label Services are services we provide as an Advance on the Artist or Label's behalf:
- Unique UPC Bar Code and ISRC Number for your release to report sales to SoundScan - FREE
- YouTube and Facebook Monetization - FREE
- Single Distribution Fee - $20 (Required service - We advance this cost)
- Album or EP Distribution Fee - $60 (Required service - We advance this cost)
- Artwork - $50 (We advance this cost if you need the service)
- Cover Artwork Edits - $30 (We advance this cost if you need the service)
- Digital File Conversion - $20 (We advance this cost if you need the service)
- Mastering - $20 (Per Song) (We advance this cost if you need the service)
- Single Publishing Administration Fee - $40 (We advance this cost if you need the service)
- Album or EP Publishing Administration Fee - $60 (We advance this cost if you need this service)
Q. How do I get paid?
A. Artists, Labels, Songwriters and Publishers are paid through their choice of PayPal, Google Pay or Check. Artists and Labels receive Sales & Accounting Reports of their sales activity along with distribution and publishing royalty payments.
Q. Do you accept all music submissions for distribution?
A. No. All music submitted does not get accepted for distribution with The Resource Music Group.
Q. What do The Resource Music Group look for when accepting music submissions?
A. There are four important things that we look for when accepting an Artist or Label submission for distribution;
- Branding/Marketable - Branding really tells us that you are more than just music, that you are a brand that we can market, and music fans will invest in.
- Online Stats - We like to see how many plays, and followers you have on social media. Those numbers are vital to building your fanbase.
- Performing/Touring - How many shows are you playing, where are you playing them, and how many people are coming out to your shows all matter.
- Production Quality - We only accept quality recorded, mixed, and mastered music that is commercially viable, and ready for digital music distribution.
Q. Can The Resource Music Group get my songs on curated Spotify playlists?
A. Yes. We curate our own Spotify playlist TRMG Hip-Hop Playlist, in addition to Spotify's algorithm playlist curating system.
Q. What is my royalty earnings based on?
A. Your royalty earnings are based on digital music streams, downloads, sync licensing, and publishing (if you opted in on publishing services). You will receive Sales & Accounting reports of your sales activity.
Q. How do I submit my music? How will I know if my music has been accepted for distribution?
A. Submit your music through the Submit Music form on our website. Follow the submission instructions. If your music submission is accepted for distribution we will email you an acceptance letter. Our team will follow up with an assessment call to discuss your specific artist needs. The distribution agreement will be emailed to you. Sign and return the distribution agreement.
Q. Does The Resource Music Group give advances?
A. Yes. We advance the cost of Artist and Label Services fees required for digital music marketing and distribution. Advances are charged against Artist and Label Accounts.
Q. Can I do my own artwork?
A. Yes. However, your artwork is required to be in 1600 x 1600 dimensions. If you're dealing with a graphic designer for your cover they will understand these dimension requirements. Only the artist name, title, and explicit lyric sticker should appear on the cover. No # symbols, social media mentions, or logos. Distribution partners require commercial standards on all cover uploads.
Q. What kind of music file is acceptable for distribution?
A. WAV file is required. MP3 file is acceptable however the file will require digital conversion from MP3 to WAV.
Q. How long will it take for my release to appear on digital music platforms?
A. Once your distribution agreement has been signed, and returned, we’ll do the rest. Your release will be assigned a UPC Barcode and ISRC Number and put in queue to be delivered to our distribution partners. Typically, 2 weeks from release date. All projects are released on New Music Friday. Your release will be available immediately on all digital music platforms.
Q. What digital music platforms does The Resource Music Group distribute my music on?
A. Your music will be available through the following digital music platforms; Apple Music, Spotify, Amazon Music, YouTube Music, and all digital music platforms worldwide.
Q. What happens on my release date?
A. You will be emailed your Official New Release Letter. It will contain the distribution links to your release on the major digital music platforms. Links are already coded with images. Just copy and paste into your social media promotions etc. The Official New Release Letter also includes resourceful promotional links to Radio, DJ's, and Hip-Hop Blogs. We recommend utilizing this information and links in your online promotional efforts.